Why our Hammocks?
It's easy to say we have the best hammocks in New Zealand, and we think we do! However, that's up to you to decide, but here is why we think so...
1. Skillfully Hand-woven. All our hammocks are 100% hand-made by indigenous Mayan Indians of Mexico, who have been making and using hammocks for thousands of years. All hammocks are made traditionally with professional experience and care.
2. Uniqueness. Each hammock is individually made by a weaver who is an artist in their own right. Along with our exclusive range of specific colours and patterns, we also allow our weavers to choose their own patterns and colours meaning you also have the option of purchasing a totally unique Mexican hammock.
3. Fair Trade. We believe strongly in Fair Trade and the preservation of Mayan cultures and traditions so are proud to stock Cielo Hammocks which are the only hammocks in the world from a Fair Trade Federation Member and a B Corporation company.
4. Quality and Environment. All our hammocks are of the utmost quality and will provide you with many years of enjoyment and relaxation with the proper use and care. Each hammock is individually made and quality checked prior to being taken into stock and sent on to you. As each hammock can take between 5-30 days to complete this ensures they are carefully made with individual care. No 'rush jobs' or mass production here. This handmade process is also much more environmentally friendly than factory machine made hammocks.
5. Comfort and Support. All our hammocks are made using a special inter-woven, diamond weave pattern that is unique to Mexican hammocks. This provides you with superior comfort and support, along with greater strength and beauty. This pattern also allows air to circulate through and around your body preventing those annoying sweaty patches that can occur from other pieces of outdoor furniture. Whether a nylon, polyester or cotton hammock you will not be disappointed with the comfort these hammocks provide. Unlike the cheaper varieties, that are often used once and forgotten about, you'll always be looking for an excuse to get in some quality hammock time!
6. Beautiful fine cord. Woven with thousands of metres of fine soft cotton and/or nylon cord that gently conforms to your body shape while evenly distributing your weight throughout the hammock. Each hammock provides a perfect blend of comfort, beauty and strength. 4950 Metres of cord is used for the double hammock, 5700 metres for the queen hammock and over 6000 metres for the king hammock. These huge quantities of cord are what help make these hammocks so superior in comfort, support and strength.
7. Portability. Our hammocks are both strong and lightweight, with the king size holding up to 250kg. Yet conveniently lightweight weighing only 1kg for the double hammock and 1.5kg for the king hammock, making them easy to hang, great for travelling, and compact for storage.
8. Versatility. Able to be used nearly anywhere, gardens, terraces, deck, the holiday home, camping trips, boats, and for a variety of uses. Sleeping, resting, reading a book, or rocking the baby to sleep. Suitable as both indoor or outdoor hammocks. Easy to hang and take down, whether using existing features such as trees, decks, fences or posts, or by screwing or bolting onto internal or external walls, ceilings, or beams. For spaces where existing hanging features are not available our range of hammock stands allow you to enjoy your hammock in nearly any setting.
9. Range. Outdoor weather resistant hammock, chair hammock, nylon, polyester or cotton hammock, we have them all! We have a great range of various sizes and styles from double hammocks up to king size and resort style hammocks, along with a practical range of hanging accessories and freestanding frames for your hammock. Check out our range for yourself.
10. Hammock Experts. We have a great range of information on Mexican hammocks and all our products that are continually updated and added to. Further resources can be found including more information on using, repairing, storing, folding and more plus videos and additional photos through the following resources.
11. Health Benefits. Taking time out from our hectic daily schedules for a little bit of rest and relaxation is often easier said than done, but a few minutes each day in a hammock to relax and refresh both the body and mind can do wonders.
Some of the health benefits of resting and sleeping in a hammock include the easing of back, neck and hip pain. Increased levels of concentration while also providing a great medium for mediation.
Sleeping in a Hammock
A recent Swiss study conducted compared the differences in a normal fixed bed vs sleeping in a simulated gently rocking hammock bed. The study measured the time taken to fall asleep plus the amount of time taken to achieve deep sleep.
The study measured the time taken to fall asleep plus the amount of time taken to achieve deep sleep.
Results of the study showed on average that when sleeping in the hammock, sleep was achieved one minute faster than in the fixed bed. It also showed a deeper stage of sleep was achieved on average three minutes faster.
“We observed a faster transition to sleep in each and every participant in the swinging condition,” says Sophie Schwartz, a neuroscientist at the Sleep and Cognition Neuroimaging Lab at the University of Geneva in Switzerland and the study’s lead author.
“Not only does rocking make us fall asleep more quickly, but it also makes people sleep more deeply throughout the nap,” she explains.
Feedback from our own customers who have purchased our Mexican hammocks has resulted in similar benefits and even the alleviation of sleep-related problems in some cases. Here is some such feedback we have received;
"I must say how fantastic that hammock is as well - my research before purchase said how comfortable they are and good for bad backs etc - every word is true - I've slept in mine overnight virtually since purchase - usually get up in the mornings and hobble around for a while, stiff and sore, restless nights with back pain- none of that with the hammock - up and running straight away and wide awake at the alarm (4:20am)."
"..for the first time in nearly 10 years, we have her sleeping for 8 hours in it. Relief to all of us."
"My daughter was having a lot of sleeping problems (really bad insomnia and lots of achy-ness from her bed). Now that she’s got her hammock up in her bedroom (and sleeps in it every night), she falls right to sleep, sleeps like a log, and wakes up before the alarm goes off – raring to go for the day. (She used to drag out of bed totally exhausted.) She says the whole experience is totally amazing, like sleeping in a soft web, the softest bed ever. Needless to say, we parents are thrilled."
"The first day when I went in it at 14.00 to try I fell asleep and woke up at 16.00. A friend of mine on the picture tried the hammock, but came out after 10 minutes, because he did not want to fall asleep"