When it comes to choosing a hammock it can be confusing at times with all the different materials on offer. So what is the difference and what might be most suitable for you?
We currently have two material options available, with two more due summer 2018/2019. These include;
- Cotton (available) - for when comfort is your highest priority. Soft and supportive, cotton will conform to your body shape resulting in a very comfortable hammock. Protection from the elements when not in use is recommended to enhance longevity.
- Mercerised Cotton (due summer 2018/2019) - cotton comfort with greater weather resistance, more lustrous colours and improved durability. More suitable when leaving your hammock outside for longer periods of time.
- Polyester (due summer 2018/2019) - a slightly firmer feel with less give than cotton, but still very comfortable and supportive. Quicker drying than cotton and excellent weather resistance for all summer outdoor use.
- Nylon (available) - firmer feel, slightly stronger, quicker drying and more durable than cotton (soon to be discontinued in favour of mercerised and polyester material).
To see the material each hammock is made from, look for the 'material' tab within the main product description.
Cotton is the staple material of the hammock market. It has many great properties that make it one of the most popular materials for making hammocks. The main features of cotton as a hammock material are;
- Comfort: Cotton is soft, supportive and very comfortable. It has a nice amount of 'give' to it. Cotton is always our first recommendation when comfort is your main priority.
- Breathable: Cotton is a breathable fabric so allows for better airflow and reduces the likelihood of getting uncomfortably hot and sweaty in your hammock.
- Absorbs Moisture: Cotton is good for absorbing and wicking away moisture.
- Washable: Cotton can easily be washed should the need arise. Soaking in a large bucket of water and rinsing is the best method.
A new fabric introduced, after extensive testing in tropical Mexico, in the summer of 2018/2019. Mercerised cotton is a process cotton goes through to create more vibrant colours, added strength, resistance to mildew with less fade and added UV protection. Mercerised cotton offers the same great benefits of standard cotton but with enhanced durability and weather resistance.
As this is our first year with this material our range of hammocks available in this range is limited. View our mercerised cotton weather resistant hammocks here.
Polyester is a well-regarded weather resistant material making it a great option for Mexican hammocks. In thicker than standard cord it is the hammock material of choice for when you want to leave your hammock outdoors all summer.
Come winter or for expected extended periods of rain bringing inside or placing undercover will help prolong this hammocks lifespan.
Currently only available in thicker corded hammocks being our chair, spreader bar and thick cord hammocks and in bright white colour. Polyester is initially very bright white but will dull down some with outdoor exposure.
Nylon hammocks come somewhere in-between standard cotton and polyester in terms of weather resistance and durability. They are also very comfortable but have a slightly firmer feel with less 'give' than cotton does. They have a silky feeling and beautiful vibrant colours. They are better for more constant outdoor use, or if you are travelling with it.
Whatever the material you choose for your hammock, with proper care it will last for many years.
While hammocks are designed to be enjoyed outdoors, it is always the prolonged exposure to UV, wind and rain that cause the most wear on your hammock. As such it can be a good idea to protect your hammock from the elements when not in use. This could include using a hammock cover, hanging undercover or just popping inside until your next use.
Further care information can be found through our hammock instructions, use and care guide.